Part I: Choose the best one.
1. Spending a lot of time and effort ________ this project doesn’t mean we’ll have an excellent outcome.
a) at b) in c) on d) with
2. All the students in the elementary schools must study neither how to make money nor __________ run a business.
a) how b) how to c) to d) X
3. Ben: ____________ is today?
Lora: It is Friday.
a) What date b) What day c) What time d) When
4. The philosophy of his company is “thrift and ____________”. It was the way he spent his entire life.
a) cleverness b) diligence c) intelligence d) smart
5. Betty is a vegetarian.
a) She never doesn’t eat meat.
b) She doesn’t never eat meat.
c) She never eats meat.
d) She doesn’t ever eat vegetable.
6. a) The more you spend with your family, the more happy you will be.
b) The more you spend with your family, the much happy you will be.
c) The more you spend in your family, the more happier you will be.
d) The more you spend with your family, the happier you will be.
7. There is no short cut ____________ a foreign language.
a) to learn b) to learning c) learn d) learning
8. a) I promised my mom that I would not longer play computer games.
b) I promised my mom that I would no more play computer games.
c) I promised my mom that I would play computer games no more.
d) I promised my mom that I would not any more play computer games.
9. She no less than you ____________ to get into MSN to chat with friends for hours at night. .
a) love b) loves c) loving d) to love
10. Most people like fame and fortune, their ____________ goals in their lives, spending tons of effort and trying every means to reach these goals.
a) absolute b) close c) total d) ultimate
11. On the contrary, these people might ____________ bankrupt, realizing that nothing is more important than friends and health when they lie in the bed alone at midnight.
a) end up b) close to c) go to d) reach to
12. Mr. Wang Yung-ching definitely set a model of a successful and outstanding businessman. The story regarding him from rags to ____________ will be told by us and written in the history of Taiwan .
a) poverty b) foolishness c) riches d) wealthy
13. Most of them will spend much more money than they earn. No wonder, they ____________ massive debts.
a) run at b) run in c) run out d) run up
14. There are many pharmaceutical companies making products against ____________. These products can get into either skin or mouth.
a) oxidant b) oxidation c) oxide d) oxygen
15. In connection with money laundering, he has been the target the international anti-money ____________ groups were probing into.
a) laundering b) laundered c) laundry d) launder
Choose the best one for each blank after reading the following article.
[16 ~ 25]
Homework made me headachy when I was in schools. To my ____(16)_____, students were born to do homework everyday. Almost every student is tired of doing the ___(17)___ homework although teachers never feel tired of giving out assignments. Students will get punished if they don’t finish their homework ___(18)___ time; and they will get the unsatisfying grades. I think the punishment and the lower grade force them to do the tremendous homework without any ___(19)___.
A few days ago, Henry, one of my relatives, made a wish in his birthday party. Everybody ___(20)___ when he told us that doing no homework ever since was his biggest wish. We can see the ___(21)___ of homework on every student even when he is a grade two student.
It is true that most students don’t like to do homework. But we want to let them know the purpose of doing homework. Doing homework is to ___(22)___ what they have learned and studied on their memory. After digestion, it becomes knowledge in their brains. What a wonderful thing it is!
To the people not in schools, work is to them what homework is to the students. There is no way for them to say no. Work will go ___(23)___ they go. They cannot do anything but ___(24)___ and ___(25)___ it.
16. a) anger b) happiness c) surprise d) headache
17. a) endless b) large c) less d) more
18. a) at b) by c) on d) under
19. a) choice b) decision c) effort d) way
20. a) cried b) laughed c) talked d) whispered
21. a) argument b) effort c) fluctuation d) impact
22. a) imprint b) list c) take d) undertake
23. a) when b) whenever c) where d) wherever
24. a) take b) taken c) taking d) being taken
25. a) finish b) finished c) finishing d) being finished
[26 ~ 27]
Today, we can still see thousands of species on earth. Some are currently in danger of extinction. They are ___(26)___ species. A variety of causes have increased rapidly since humans dominated earth. Major causes of extinction are overhunting and environmental damages mostly done by humans. In particular, the increasingly-expanded global ___(27)___ forces some to face the extinction.
26. a) endanger b) endangered c) endangering d) being endangered
27. a) heat b) heating c) warm d) warming
[28 ~ 30]
It seems that Barack Obama, the President-elect of the U.S. , will do better at the highest ranking post in the U.S administration than President George W. Bush. ___(28)___ over the achievements done by President George W. Bush, you found nothing but ___(29)___ to wars and entering a recession. Under the protection of 4-year tenure, he sidestepped people’s wishes. Many Americans, who ___(30)___ for Bush before, vote for Barack now.
28. a) Look b) Looked c) Looking d) Be looked
29. a) go b) went c) gone d) going
30. a) vote b) voted c) voting d) to vote
Part II: Reading Comprehension.
[31 ~ 34]
Itinerary for Mr. Daniel Lee
Date Flight No. From/To Time Class Status
Jul. 6, 2009 BR 001 Taipei (TPE) 08:20 E
Hong Kong (HKG) 09:40
Jul. 10, 2009 BR 011 Hong Kong (TPE) 15:30 E
Singapore (SIN) 18:30
Jul. 12, 2009 BR 020 Singapore (SIN) 09:10 E
Los Angles (LAX) 12:55
Jul. 16, 2009 BR 022 Los Angles (LAX) 22:00 E
Jul. 17, 2009 Taipei (TPE) 07:20
31. When does Mr. Lee arrive in Singapore ?
a) Jul. 6, 2009. b) Jul. 10, 2009.
c) Jul. 12, 2009. d) Jul. 18, 2009.
32. How long does Mr. Lee’s trip take?
a) 12 days and 12 nights. b) 12 days and 11 nights.
c) 11 days and 11 nights. d) 11 days and 12 nights.
33. What does “Flight No.” mean?
a) It means which airplane with that number you want to get on.
b) It means which airline company you want to get on.
c) It means which gate number you want to get on.
d) It means which exit you want to get on.
34. What does “TPE” or “LAX” mean?
a) It is an abbreviation of a country.
b) It is an abbreviation of a city.
c) It is an abbreviation of a flight number.
d) It is an abbreviation of an airport.
[35 ~ 39] (This article was written in December of 2008.)
According to the classic definition provided by the National Bureau of Economic Research in the United States , a recession happens when negative GDP continues to exist in two consecutive quarters. Most economists said the recession in the United States had already begun last December.
The strongest signal of economic recession, the severe crises of the financial institutions in Wall Street happened this late summer while the successive business crises occurred after the 700 billion bailout plan was approved by the Congress of the United States to save the financial institutions from falling into an upcoming disaster.
Stocks fell and the Dow Jones industrial average was below 9000, retail sales plunging further after consumers sharply cut back on their spending, the unemployment rate raising in the wake of business downturn. Now the economic doom turned to the automakers, striking the financial institutions first.
Since no effective and gigantic rescue plan is in place, demand and supply might weaken much faster than we expect. We are sure that depression is ahead of us while there will be less spending and fewer production than before.
Caused by economic meltdown in the United States , the recession hit Europe and Asia . Taiwan can’t get away from the widespread economic turbulence that is developing across the globe, sales slumping, business in trouble, and overwhelming layoff on the way. It is reported that the growth rate of GDP in the coming year will be negative, the first time for Taiwan GDP growth rate carrying a negative figure ever since World War II. In months, the recession of Taiwan economy will turn into the unprecedented depression. The last stage of economic cycle, depression is much more severe than recession. Are we prepared for it? As for how long it will last, no one has the answer yet.
35. Where did worldwide recession first happen?
a) It first happened in China .
b) It first happened in Japan .
c) It first happened in the U.S.
d) It first happened in Europe .
36. When did worldwide recession first happen?
a) It first happened last summer.
b) It first happened this summer.
c) It first happened this December.
d) It first happened last December.
37. What is the Dow Jones industrial average?
a) It is the stock market index of New York Stock Exchange Market.
b) It is the stock market index of London Stock Exchange Market.
c) It is the stock market index of Tokyo Stock Exchange Market.
d) It is the stock market index of Taiwan Stock Exchange Market.
38. What was the growth rate of Taiwan GDP in November of 2008?
a) The growth rate was negative.
b) The growth rate was zero.
c) The growth rate was positive.
d) There was no information about the positive or negative growth rate.
39. What is the last stage of economic cycle?
a) It is recession.
b) It is depression.
c) It is recovery.
d) It is boom.
[40 ~ 42]
Either in undeveloped countries or in developed countries, poor people’s lives are worth nothing. Not knowing what is the meaning of life, poor people work for rich and powerful people to make a living by the sweat of their brow all day and all night, and only a miracle will probably save them from hunger. Rich people get richer and more powerful, just caring about their own life and death instead of poor people’s.
Developed countries and rich people function well among themselves while undeveloped countries and poor people, insignificant, weakening day after day, become poorer year after year. The existence of the insignificant can e sacrificed to seize their own interests.
The evolution looks like the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Does it sound as if the law of survival for the fittest is under way in our modern world?
40. Who developed and established natural selection, the law of survival for the fittest?
a) Charles Dickson.
b) Charles Darwin.
c) Charles Grey.
d) Charles Reade.
41. Who don’t know the meaning of the life?
a) The smart people.
b) The intelligent people.
c) The rich people.
d) The poor people.
42. What does “the insignificant” mean?
a) The rich people.
b) The poor people.
a) The smart people.
b) The intelligent people.
Part III: Translation
[43 ~ 44]
Part IV: Write an article “On Our Way to School” in 150 words.
Cookies 是伺服端為了區別使用者的不同喜好，經由瀏覽器寫入使用者硬碟的一些簡短資訊。您可以在Netscape的「功能設定」的「進階」或是IE的「Internet選項」的「安全性」中選擇修改您瀏覽器對Cookies的接受程度， 包括接受所有cookies、設定cookies時得到通知、拒絕所有Cookies等三種。如果您選擇拒絕所有的Cookies，您就可能無法使用部份個人化服務， 或是參與部份的活動。